Monday 16 December 2013

Praise The Lord and pass the ammunition


So this Sunday past was quite a productive effort, in prep for terrain-ing I've been going through my hobby cupboards and draws, gathering all the odds and sods of material that I have in various places. In doing this I came across a pre cut card model of a parish church from metcalfe models. I bought this a year or so ago as a central piece for a gaming table but was left aside as it's in HO/OO gauge I thought that it might be a bit too big for flames of war usage. At any rate on finding it buried I thought it would be a shame to just sit unbuilt so it became this weekends project.

I wish I'd had the forethought to take pictures all the way though this build so there was a better catalogue of the process but as it is I only thought to photograph the thing about half way through. The kit was put together with Pritt stick, but the instructions say you can use Uhu non solvent glue, or you could probably use PVA if you had nothing better to do but sit and watch things dry. 



The actual kit itself contains several sheets of pre printed and pre cut thick card, there are some small points where the card hasn't been completely cut through, to keep the pieces attached to the backing card, but these usual give way with a quick press or can be sliced through with a craft knife or scalpel if you refer. Some of the finer details like sections of the window archways will need you to scalpel them out rather than just push them lest you break the fine detail struts, and I found that this was best accomplished with a No. 10 blade as it has a very sharp and fine point.

The glazing for the windows is an acetate sheet, printed with "leaded" windows. Now the instructions said that these were designed to be cut with scissors, but I actually found it easier to do with a straight edge and a rotary cutter, this gave nice clean lines that were then easily glued onto the backs of the windows arches.



On the whole I found the instructions very clear and easy to follow and even things that I thought would be a right royal pain in the ass (like the buttress) were actually very simple and really quite enjoyable to construct. I did find that for some parts such as attaching the aisles to the chancel, some small spring clips ( or just spring clothes pegs if you don't have clamps to hand), we're very handy in holding two edges together whilst the Pritt took and stuck.

The whole build took me a couple of hours and several cups of tea to finish, but at no point did I find it a chore or frustrating (ok, gluing up all the aisle windows was a bit off a bore) and despite my initial misgivings about the scale of the building, it actually looks like it'll sit quite nicely on the battle field, seems about right, sat next to one of my 4ground buildings and with a sniper team on the tower roof!!

Guarding the porch entrance 

SNIPER!!

An LED candle used to try and give a little atmospheric lighting

This one is less "atmospheric" than it is on fire

No comments: